You've never heard our tale like this before
First things first, there was no garage to begin with.
There was no current lineup to speak of. But that happens to the finest bands all the time. Ringo Star succeeded Pete Best in 1962. Before their popularity. Smile was transformed into Queen by Freddy Mercury. There were ideas, a desire to make a mark, and that good dose of recklessness required at the start of any business.
The story begins in 2005 when dreams became a reality through the exploration of new horizons. We were the University of Verona’s first spin-off, pioneers of all subsequent entrepreneurial ventures at the University. However, no company can operate without finance, so our quest for gold started to fill at least one notch in the tank. Read more
An African proverb says: “If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together”. Unfortunately, we didn’t choose the right travelers at the time. As in the War of the Roses, our industrial partner quickly abandoned us taking everything but ideas and hope with him. Fortunately the Ministry of University and Research, like an unexpected superhero, rewarded our project by providing the funds we needed to restart. This was not the only emergency. After all, the globe was experiencing dozens of them. Do you recall them? Just ask Google. As they say, it’s not how many times you fall that matters but how many times you get back up.
During those years, we worked relentlessly on a variety of projects in a wide range of sectors. From cloth to rail, marble to glass, micro to macro, sea to space… everything is done with the aim to achieve the client’s goal, to convert a difficulty into an opportunity. Those were the years when vision and artificial intelligence began making their way into automobiles. With some nerve we introduced ourselves to Xilinx who chose us to help them explore how their FPGA/SoC was the ideal platform to do so. Mission accomplished.
Detecto, our IP core for object detection, is formed shortly after, marking the first inflection point in the curve.
The turning point occurs in 2015. Marco ultimately agrees to join us on the expedition, bringing his wealth of knowledge with him.
More crucially, our destiny is intertwined with that of Seeing Machines.
A butterfly’s wing flap in Brazil is claimed to generate a tornado in Texas. Individuals with good reputations spread across countries, and thus word about us reaches Australia just when Seeing Machines is entering the mainstream vehicle market. The corporation recognizes something remarkable in this small Verona-based company and decides to entrust it with part of a crucial project involving the embedding of its fundamental technology for driver and passenger monitoring.
We didn’t stop there, though. We are involved in a variety of other projects, but there are far too many stories to share. There was never a garage; today, there is a large team within a framework that does not rest on its laurels but keeps moving forward to make its ambitions a reality. Read less
Dates we like to remember and celebrate (especially for what we have learnt)
- 2005: Foundation as the first spin-off of the University of Verona. EVS also takes its first steps by obtaining funding from the Ministry of University and Research (MIUR) for a research and development project aimed at the realisation of an “embedded platform for 3D vision for industrial and nautical applications”.
- 2006: Collaboration with DataSensor Spa (now Datalogic) to develop algorithms on their machine vision sensors.
- 2007: partnership with Eurotech Spa. Start of passenger counting system development activities.
- 2009: Entry into the Xilinx Alliance Program and beginning of collaboration with the Automotive Division of Xilinx Inc in Detroit on the development of FPGA cores for the acceleration of vision-based ADAS functions.
- 2009: EVS is a finalist in “Start-Up of the Year”, an event promoted by PMI Cube. Read more
- 2010: Development and patenting of the Visio-Dock system for visual aid for boat mooring. Collaboration with Benetti-Azimut.
- 2012: EVS is selected as one of the 10 “best in class” companies for innovative experimental marine products at the Start To Business event held during the Genoa Boat Show.
- 2012: Detecto IP core is born, integration on the logiADAK platform, cooperation with Xylon, Zagreb, for the distribution of the core under the logicBRICKS brand.
- 2012 to 2016: Each year EVS exhibits at “Embedded World” – Nuremberg, with Xilinx Inc. Read more
- 2013: BeQuanti is born in collaboration with the Department of Pathology of the University of Verona. Agreements with Fluxion Bioscience Inc, USA, for software distribution in the Life Science market.
- 2014: entry into the Computer Science Park of the Department of Informatics open to companies collaborating with the university.
- 2014: EVS exhibits at “Vision”, in Stuttgart, its first participation in Europe’s most important trade fair on machine vision.
- 2015: Start of collaboration with Seeing Machines Ltd, Canberra, for hardware acceleration of vision algorithms for driver and occupant monitoring systems.
- 2018: project to develop a bird detection system in airport environments for aerospace customers.
- 2021: Long-Term Services Agreement with Seeing Machines Ltd expanding the relationship between the companies to manage increasing demand for SM’s industry leading driver monitoring system (DMS) technology
- 2022: EVS becomes a Certified Partner of Xilinx Inc (USA). Read less
Chief Technology Officer, Cofounder