Automatically counting passengers entering and exiting crowded public transport is no trivial task. It is particularly complex if a greater than 97% accuracy in the most variable working conditions is to be guaranteed considering, for example, wide and low gates, ramps and steps and extreme lighting conditions in every country, with different ethnicities and clothing habits. Doing it in real time, on embedded hardware platforms that typically have limited computing capabilities, makes the goal even more challenging.
PCN is manufactured by Eurotech and is sold worldwide (>20K units / year). A successful product like this, which has been on the market for over 15 years, has experienced many challenges and undergone various improvements.
EVS provides Eurotech with software engineering and design services to improve, maintain and customize the PCN-1001 platform in order to constantly improve its performance under all conditions and in every type of installation.
Thanks to its know-how in embedded vision software and stereoscopic vision technology, EVS has:
- extended product features (e.g., added support for wider gate & lower installation height)
- improved product performances and usability
- improved tools for production (e.g., calibration and burn-in test)
- supplied product maintenance and validation services
- widened the applicability of the product and improved its cost effectiveness.
Eurotech is a multinational company that designs, develops and supplies Edge Computers and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions – complete with services, software and hardware – to system integrators and enterprises.